Reisterstown, MD – Pets for Patriots, a program at Baltimore Humane Society to help ease the transition of veterans and service members is also helping to end animal homelessness. This Memorial Day we want to remind the members of our military community of our free pet adoption program at Baltimore Humane Society for all military – including active, reserve, and retired.
Companion pets help people, military veterans included, in various ways and through many life stages. In addition to physical benefits including the lowering of cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels, emotional impacts include fewer feelings of loneliness and depression. “Ordinary” shelter dogs and cats help veterans through critical junctures in their active and post-duty lives, and is one of the founding principles of the Pets for Patriots companion pet adoption program for veterans and military personnel.
Shelter dogs and cats adopted through the Pets for Patriots program help with:
- Separating from service and re-entering civilian life
- Coping with a range of psychological conditions, including Post Traumatic Stress disorder
- Easing the pain of their absence on family members left behind during deployment
- Giving friendship to those lonely or alone
- Comforting the families of service members who are deployed away from home
The end goal of Pets for Patriots free adoption program — transform and enrich the lives of our service men and women while at the same time helping save at-risk shelter pets and end animal homelessness in the U.S. Once such adoption was Raven, a black Labrador Retriever. Raven, with a few anxiety issues herself, was adopted by a veteran also struggling with anxiety. The two are now inseparable, each comforted by the other.
The Pets for Patriots program at Baltimore Humane Society always includes:
- Free pet adoptions at Baltimore Humane Society to all military (once approved by Pets for Patriots)
- 10% discount at the Baltimore Humane Society low cost Spay, Neuter, & Vaccine Clinic
- 10-20% discount for veterinary care for the life of the pet at participating vets like Perry Hall Animal Hospital
- $150 gift card upon proof of eligible adoption with Pets for Patriots to help with food and other essentials
- Free membership to Pets for Patriots for all service members. Individuals are welcome to take advantage of the Pets for Patriots program from all United States armed forces and at any stage of their careers.
Individuals must first apply through Pets for Patriots website at petsforpatriots.org and provide proof of their military service or honorable discharge. Approval typically takes one to two business days, after which they can visit Baltimore Humane Society for assistance in choosing their new best friend.
“It’s always a joy to see our local service members taking advantage of the program,” says Wendy Goldband, Baltimore Humane Society Director of Marketing & Public Relations, “and seeing time our dogs and cats get such wonderful homes. Everybody wins.”